Monday, December 14, 2020

Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky

Hello friends,

Over the past few months, during Shalosh Seudos time, I have been speaking about different great personalities of the Jewish past.  I came to the realization that we should not wait until a great person dies to begin appreciating him. This realization grew considerably when Rabbi Sacks passed away this year. I had made the decision to speak of him when he was alive, and his petira increased the urgency with which I feel we should know about great people so that we can learn from them while they are living life in this world.  

So this past Shabbos, I spoke about Rabbi Ahron Lopiansky. I'm sure the name is familiar to some of you. He is currently the Rosh Yeshiva of the Yeshiva of Greater Washington. He is also a prolific writer and thinker, accepted in all parts of the Orthodox spectrum, and in the wider Jewish world as well. 

Two books that I mentioned on Shabbos that I would highly recommend to everyone reading this are linked below.

"Ben Torah for Life"  https://www.eshelpublications.com/store/p11/Orchos_Chaim%3A_Ben_Torah_For_Life.html
 
and

Time Pieces, a collection of essays on all the Yomim Tovim.

Rabbi Lopiansky also recently gave an interview/conversation that I also feel is worth the time of anyone who thinks about issues like Jewish identity and peoplehood.


A website has been set up with recordings of all kinds of his classes. 

Have a wonderful Chanukah.
RD
--
Rabbi Raphael Davidovich
Heights Jewish Center
14270 Cedar Road
University Heights, OH 44121

No comments: